Christopher Barondeau (pronounced Ba-ron-doe) is a divorce attorney. He focuses his practice on family law and trials. Chris currently serves in the Nebraska Army National Guard, and early in his military career he deployed to Iraq where he operated a vehicle used to locate roadside bombs – it’s safe to say that Chris isn’t easily rattled. When you are experiencing a life changing divorce or facing a contentious dispute concerning the custody of your children, Chris is a solid advocate, providing strong support as he leads clients through the trenches.
Hear What Our Clients Are Saying About Us:
“I was very pleased with the service and advice you gave us. During red-hot chaos, you were the voice of reason. Although we wanted more–as I imagine each parent does–you correctly advised us of what was do-able for getting a parent to enter into an agreement. The week-to-week arrangement has worked reasonably well and when things start getting crazy, we have a document with teeth in it to get things back on a workable track. One thing I’ve thought about several times since then is that I had never had reason to have an attorney, but now that I have one I can rely on, it feels good and comfortable!” – Sheryl
Chris strategically handles complex divorces, contested child custody matters, complicated asset and business divisions, drafting of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, and modifications of custody, alimony and child support orders. Chris understands that individuals dealing with a family law matter are oftentimes seeking to utilize an attorney for the first time and its Chris’ priority to ensure his clients are comfortable and confident as they deal with a challenging set of circumstances. For professionals and business owners going through divorce, Chris is unique because he is supported by our full service business focused law firm to help navigate business valuations, personal guarantees, finance, and ongoing asset management issues.
As a current officer of military intelligence and logistics in the Nebraska Army National Guard, with more than 14 years of military service, Chris has a unique understanding of the challenges and difficulties that current members and veterans of the Active Duty Military, as well as the National Guard and Reserves, face when dealing with family law matters. Chris’ experience leaves him uniquely situated to assist veterans and active service members through difficult family law matters. Additionally, the circumstances service members face are similar to those encountered by our brave men and women in public service, including law enforcement and firefighters; as such, Chris’ military background allows him to effectively represent these individuals as well.
Chris will be your trusted advocate in contentious family law proceedings in Court. However, Chris also recognizes the potential for utilizing mediation to achieve client goals and has a master’s (M.S.) degree in Negotiation and Dispute Resolution from Creighton University’s nationally recognized Werner Institute. Chris’ experience, coupled with his educational background, is a great resource when representing clients at mediation or serving as a mediator.
Chris is currently a professional leader. He is a member of the Family Law Section of both the Iowa and Nebraska state bar associations. Additionally, Chris is active on a national level with the American Bar Association’s Family Law Section, where he serves on the Military Law Committee and is the Editor for the Committees’s bi- annual newsletter “Rollcall.” In 2015, he attended the American Bar Association’s Annual Family Law Conference in Portland, Oregon.
Chris and his wife Amanda have three daughters, including twins, and serve as a “big couple” with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Siouxland. He is active in the community as a leader in the Sioux City Growth Organization, Vision Dakota County, and 100+ Men Who Care (Siouxland Chapter), in addition to serving as an advisor to the Woodbury County Crime Stoppers Board. Chris is passionate about his family and understands the strong bond parents share with their children.
LICENSED IN: Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota.
- Bar Admissions
- Professional Organizations
- Community Involvement
- Articles, Presentations, and Achievements
Creighton University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2011; MS Negotiation & Dispute Resolution
- Severens-Mayer Award for Excellence in Mediation and Best Mediator
- Dean’s Academic Scholarship
- Gail Werner Robertson Scholarship
- Marianne & Thomas Culhane Scholarship
- Distinguished Military Graduate
University of South Dakota, Bachelor of Science, Magna Cum Laude, in Political Science, 2008; Minor in Business Administration
- Dave Lorenz Senior Leadership Award
- Student Government Association
- Student Senator & Business Manager
- Beta Theta Pi, Gamma Alpha, President
- Omicron Delta Kappa, South Dakota Circle, President
- Mortar Board, Order of Omega
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars
Nebraska Army National Guard
Commander of HHD of the 126th Chemical Battalion, Nebraska Army National Guard
- Currently serving as the Commander of HHD for the Nebraska Army National Guard’s 126th Chemical Battalion located in Omaha, NE. Deployed with the South Dakota Army National Guard (A Company 153rd Engineer Battalion/Combat Mechanized) as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom from February 2004 through February 2005. Served as a combat engineer and conducted a variety of missions including a counter IED mission (located and neutralized roadside bombs) and detention center operations.
Northeast Community College (College Center): South Sioux City, NE
Adjunct Professor, Business Law I & II: 2012-2013
Concord Center: Omaha, NE
Practicum/Internship (Werner Institute Creighton University)
- Managed mediation cases from intake, coordination of initial and main session and follow up.
U.S. Attorney’s Office: Omaha, NE
- Conducted research on a variety of legal issues; utilized senior certification to develop litigation skills in court; prepared multiple briefs for Assistant United States Attorneys.
Pottawattamie County Attorney’s Office: Council Bluffs, IA
- Conducted research for use by attorneys on a variety of legal issues involving criminal, civil and appellate cases; assisted attorneys in preparing cases for trial; observed courtroom proceedings and participated in depositions.
- State: Iowa, Nebraska & South Dakota
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
Iowa State Bar Association– Agricultural Law Section Council; Family Law & Juvenile Law Section
American Bar Association– Young Lawyers Division; Family Law Section- Young Lawyers Committee, Military Committee
Nebraska Bar Association – Family Law Section
The National Guard Association of the United States
National Guard Officers Association of Nebraska
Articles and Presentations
- Negotiating and Drafting Farm Land Leases, Farm Business Law Seminar, 2014
- “Recent USDA Food Labeling Rules Spawn Litigation”, Center for Agricultural Law and Taxation October Newsletter, 2013
- Agricultural Use Evaluation, Estate Planning for Farmers and Ranchers Seminar, 2013
- Goal Setting, Estate Planning for Farmers and Ranchers Seminar, 2013
- Understanding and Accessing Government Economic Development Incentives, CEO Forum, 2013
- Protecting Your Agricultural Interests Before a Bankruptcy is Filed, Agricultural Law Seminar, 2011
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2015 & 2014
- Top 10 Under 40 Attorney Award for the state of Iowa (2015) – National Academy of Family Law Attorneys