Bruce Smith leverages his extensive experience to strategically manage business risk. Bruce proactively identifies issues that affect the bottom line. He negotiates to obtain results and achieve client goals. Bruce’s general practice includes, but is not limited to business and corporate law, environmental, health and safety law, administrative law and general litigation.
Bruce became an attorney because of his initial interest in the law and his strong ability to resolve issues effectively and efficiently.
“I’ve always enjoyed risk management. I find it rewarding to know that I made an impact to ensure the health and safety of our clients and their employees. Guiding clients to remain compliant under the federal and state health and safety laws helps prevent careless accidents in the workplace and most of all, can save the lives of others. The dangers and complications that go along with specific jobs and duties are evident, however there are ways that I, as an attorney, can help to prevent these accidents and lessen the risks of injury and fatalities. That is the best part of my job,” says Bruce.
Bruce not only helps manage business risk, but also understands how to effectively communicate business insights and strategies. His business-focused vision and safety centered mentality make Bruce someone you want on your team.
LICENSED IN: Iowa and Nebraska.
BPI Technology, Inc.: Dakota Dunes, SD
Senior Counsel/EHS Director, 2007-2012
- EPA and OSHA program compliance and representation of company in administrative hearings/enforcement proceedings. Government permitting and compliance. Oversight and management of company health and safety programs at state and federal levels. Management of outside litigation, including civil, criminal and workers compensation. Real estate transactional law and risk management.
Tyson Foods, Inc.:
Outside Defense Counsel, 2003-2004
- Served as outside defense counsel for Tyson Foods in the State of Nebraska concerning all litigated workers’ compensation cases.
IBP Inc., Tyson Foods, Inc.: Dakota Dunes, SD
Senior Counsel, 1992-2003
- Managed in-house legal department and reported to EVP/CFO. Primary areas of responsibility included acquisitions/due diligence, company-wide oversight of environmental, health and safety, risk management, workers compensation, EPA, Employment/HR, OSHA compliance, USDA, real estate, transportation, outside litigation management, and legal administration. Special focus on EPA and OSHA compliance involving permitting and compliance, inspection oversight, civil administrative enforcement and review, criminal investigations and enforcement. Additional emphasis on EPA RMP/OSHA PSM program compliance concerning hazardous chemicals.
U.S. Department of Justice:
Assistant United States Attorney, 1986-1989
- Serving Northern District of West Virginia and Western District of Pennsylvania. Federal grand jury work, criminal trial/prosecution and appellate review.
Smith & Boyd Law Offices:
Private Practice of Law, 1978-1986
- General practice of law including probate/estates, municipal, county and school law, commercial and business law, insurance law, defense litigation and workers compensation.