MATTHEW J. ABEL
Sioux Falls Probate and Trust Litigation Attorney
Matthew J. Abel is the “Trust and Estate Litigator” who helps individuals and corporate trustees navigate the estate and trust litigation process to protect and recover assets, so they can focus on what matters. He helps clients solve their problems through reflective listening followed by a carefully and strategically prepared plan of action, whether it be litigation or informal discussion, in order to cost-effectively resolve their issue – worth it!
Direct: (605) 275-7993
Office: (605) 371-2000
Cell: (605) 553-4530
Matthew helps business leaders through succession planning and avoiding costly litigation surrounding their business after their death. He also helps with active litigation issues arising out of contract disputes.
Matthew has experience arguing in front of the South Dakota Supreme Court successfully defending family trusts. He says, “As a former prosecutor, I saw too many people being taken advantage of financially, resulting in families being torn apart by protracted estate litigation following the death of a parent. I became an attorney because I wanted to help people navigate the difficult-to-understand litigation process, with the hope of achieving a satisfying result.”
- Probate Estate Administration
- Trust Administration
- Probate and Trust Litigation (Will contests, breach of fiduciary duty lawsuits, financial elder abuse)
- Guardianships and Conservatorships
- General Business Litigation
LICENSED IN: South Dakota and Minnesota
Matthew and his wife have two boys. He enjoys playing golf and guitar. A fun fact about Matthew is that he plays in two local bands!
University of South Dakota School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2012
- Sterling Honors
University of South Dakota, Master of Public Administration, 2012
Augustana College, Bachelor of Arts in Government and International Affairs, Minors in Spanish and History, Cum Laude, 2009
- Honors Program
The Krause Law Firm, P.C.: Sioux Falls, SD
- Litigate and administer trust and estate matters
- Litigate contract disputes and other business disputes
- Lead counsel on four separate appeals to the South Dakota Court
- Human Resources representative for the firm
Minnehaha County: Sioux Falls, SD
Senior Deputy State’s Attorney, 2013-2016
- Prosecuted Misdemeanor, Felony, Juvenile, Mental Illness, and Appellate cases arising out of Minnehaha County from initial appearance through jury trial and appeal to the Circuit Court and the South Dakota Supreme Court on behalf of the State of South Dakota.
- Tried numerous Misdemeanor and Felony jury and court trials, as well as orally argued a case in front of the South Dakota Supreme Court.
- Served as the State’s Attorney representative on the Second Circuit Drug Court and occasionally assisted the Civil Division with pending litigation and advised the County Commission.
First Judicial Circuit of South Dakota: Yankton, SD
Judicial Law Clerk, 2012-2013
- Assisted three Circuit Court Judges and one Magistrate Judge through research and writing on a wide variety of civil, criminal, and administrative law issues.
Lynn, Jackson, Shultz, & Lebrun, P.C.: Sioux Falls, SD
Summer Associate, 2011
- Practiced legal skills, including hands-on trial assistance, taking a deposition, motion practice, client interaction, and research and writing, in the fields of general civil litigation, contract drafting, employment law, and municipal law.
South Dakota Board of Regents General Counsel: Vermillion, SD
Graduate Assistant, 2011-2012
- Assisted South Dakota Board of Regents General Counsel, Jim Shekleton, with various research and writing projects related to higher education.
Woods, Fuller, Shultz, & Smith, P.C.: Sioux Falls, SD
Summer Associate, 2010
- Honed legal skills through research and writing, trial assistance, and participating in discovery, in a variety of fields including real estate law, criminal defense, civil litigation, business law, and health care law.
Thomson Reuters, Inc.: Vermillion, SD
Westlaw Representative, 2010-2012
- Student Representative to the Unviersity of South Dakota School of Law; aided students and faculty in Westlaw Classic and WestlawNext research, marketed Westlaw to students and faculty, and aided in the administration of WestlawNext research training.
South Dakota and Minnesota
- Graduated from Law School with Sterling Honors (Top 10% of Class, ranked 4 of 74)
- Dean’s List Spring Semester 2012 (USD School of Law)
- Dean’s List Fall Semester 2012 (USD School of Law)
- Dean’s List Spring Semester 2011 (USD School of Law)
- Dean’s List Spring Semester 2010 (USD School of Law)
- Graduated with 4.0 GPA in Master of Public Administration Program
- Recipient of the Advocacy Award (USD School of Law) - Given to most outstanding advocate in each graduating class
- CALI Award/Dean’s Certificate for Outstanding Performance in Antitrust and Consumer
- Protection Law (USD School of Law)
- CALI Award/Dean’s Certificate for Outstanding Performance in Criminal Procedure (USD School of Law)
- Roger and Claudia Baron Award for Outstanding Performance (Fall 2011)
- Solo Winner of the First Year Negotiation Competition (Fall 2010)
- Government Departmental Honors (Augustana College)
- Recipient of the Augustana Leadership Award (Augustana College)
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association
- Member of the Minnesota Bar Association
- Member of Pi Alpha Alpha (The National Honor Society for Public Affairs and Administration)
- Member of Delta Theta Pi (International Law Fraternity)
- Member of Phi Alpha Theta (International History Honor Society)
- Member of Sigma Delta Pi (International Spanish Honor Society)
- Westlaw and WestlawNext Case Law Research Certified
- Westlaw and WestlawNext Statutory Research Certified
- Abel, M. J. (2012). Avoiding the Unnecessary Disaster: Modernizing a Board of Regents’ Sexual Harassment Policy. The University of South Dakota, Master of Public Administration Professional Report.
- Abel, M. J. (2012). Government Speech: A Doctrine in Need of Restraint. USD School of Law, First Amendment Rights.
- Abel, M. J. (2011). The Failed AT&T/T-Mobile Merger: A Practical Antitrust Analysis. USD School of Law, Antitrust and Consumer Protection Law.
- Abel, M. J. (2009). From Bob Dylan to Rage Against the Machine: The Rise, Decline, and Rebirth of the Political Protest Song. Honors Thesis. Augustana College, Department of Government.
- Abel, M. J. (2007). Woodstock Vision: Changing American Foreign Policy. Thesis. Augustana College, Department of History.
- Advisory Board Member for the Sioux Empire Teen Court
- Contributing writer for The South Dakotan Lawyer magazine.
- Collegiate Athlete- Augustana College Track and Field, Sprinter (2005-2006).