Maggie L. Simonson, JD, CPA
Spirit Lake Attorney in Tax Law, Business Law, & Estate Planning.
Maggie L. Simonson is a proactive and strategic tax, business law and estate planning attorney who provides concise and straight forward tax planning to help her clients achieve the most tax advantageous consequences in complex transactions and estate planning and help clients navigate through the process of audits and tax controversies.
As a dually licensed attorney and CPA, Maggie’s practice lies at the intersection of business law and taxation, including the crucial aspect of estate planning to minimize estate tax. Her goal is always to build a relationship with you as your trusted advisor, not just your attorney, to truly understand your goals and help you accomplish them.
Maggie works diligently with business leaders and executives to bridge the gap between their legal team and financial advisors. Maggie understands that tax and estate planning are complicated, so she strives to provide concise and easy to understand advice. In the event you are involved in an audit or other tax controversy, she will be there to navigate you through the process, communicate on your behalf, and minimize stress.
Office: (712) 338-9106
Direct: (712) 226-7403
Prior to joining Goosmann, Maggie started off her career working in public accounting as a CPA. That experience allows her to see beyond the legal aspects of estate planning and transactions and work side-by-side with your other tax and financial advisors to achieve your goals, whatever they may be.
Maggie was recognized by Best Lawyers® 2021– Ones To Watch in the area of Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law.
- Tax Law
- Business Law
- Estate Planning
LICENSED IN: Iowa
Maggie enjoys spending time with her niece and nephew, relaxing at the lake, traveling, and making pottery.
The University of Iowa College of Law School , Juris Doctor, 2014
The University of Iowa Henry B. Tippie College of Business, Completed courses in the Master of Accountancy Program to meet CPA license requirements , 2013
William & Mary Law School , Summer in Spain Study Abroad Program, 2012
The University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa , Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting with distinction, Certificate in Spanish, 2010
BrownWinick Law Firm, Des Moines, IA 2018-2021
• Advise clients regarding the tax implications of complex transactions and employee benefits (ERISA) law. Analyze sales tax liability. Represent clients in tax controversies. Prepare federal and state income tax returns. Form business entities.
K.L. Smith, P.C., West Des Moines, IA 2017-2018
• Prepare tax returns for individuals, businesses, trusts, and employee benefit plans. Analyze tax implications of business entity selection and like-kind exchanges. Draft buy-sell agreements
Duncan, Green, Brown & Langeness, Des Moines, IA 2016-2017
• Draft legal documents relating to business formation, employment agreements, mergers, purchase agreements, and estate planning. Research various tax issues. Counsel businesses to comply with corporate formalities.
CliftonLarsonAllen, LLP, West Des Moines, IA 2014-2016
Senior Tax Associate,
•Prepare federal and multi-state tax returns for individuals, businesses, trusts, and non-profit organizations. Prepare compilations, financial statements, FBARs, and FR Y-9s. Determine the tax implications of transactions.
PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), Des Moines, IA 2014
Risk Assurance Associate,
• Audit clients’ systems, procedures, and policies to determine whether risk is at an acceptably low level.
- Member of the Iowa State Bar Association
- Member of the Iowa Society of CPAs
- Member of the American Academy of Attorney-CPAs
- Selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers® 2021 - Ones to Watch – Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law