Bilingual Cyber Attorney
Walter Prescott is a cyber law attorney in the Firm’s Sioux Falls office. He navigates the intricacies of the ever-changing cybersecurity, data privacy, and telecommunications legal fields. When it comes to private information protection, Walter is your go to on protecting your company’s interests, including your proprietary data, trade secrets, and employee and customer information. Whether you are located in a big city or a small town, Walter understands that a data breach can happen to any business, small or large. When it comes to a high interest claim, litigation, or regulatory investigation, Walter gets the need for urgent legal action. He helps ensure you are prepared before a data breach or cyber attack occurs, navigating the law so you can better design and defend the digital castles that secure your valuable information. And when your private information is threatened, stolen, or exposed, he uses all legal remedies available to regain control and seek redress. Walter and the Goosmann Law Firm team work hard to provide legal solutions for all of your cyber and telecommunications needs, so you don’t have to worry– worth it.
Direct: (605) 275-7986
Office: (605) 371-2000
Fax: (605) 275-2039
Cell: (309) 229-3309
As a strategist, an investigator, and a litigator, Walter focuses on helping his clients protect themselves from cyber threats. As a strategist, he helps businesses navigate state and federal data privacy and security requirements and tailor their policies, procedures, and practices to ensure legal compliance, minimize risks, and maximize benefits. As an investigator, Walter digs deep into cases with significant digital and e-discovery components demanding technical familiarity and careful scrutiny to succeed. And as a litigator, he turns complex evidence into compelling stories and persuasive arguments fighting relentlessly for his client’s interests.
Walter chose to focus his practice on cybersecurity, data privacy, and the digital aspects of contemporary litigation because he cares about the effects of digital technology on society and how the law responds to challenges that have never been seen before. He entered law school with a background in Mandarin Chinese language and quantitative social science research. With this background, he saw opportunities to apply his interests and knowledge in the emerging field of data privacy and cybersecurity law. He recognizes that the field rarely has obvious answers or simple solutions, the legal landscape is constantly evolving, and the threats presented can risk devastating damage to people’s lives and businesses. Walter decided that a cyber-law practice would allow him to use his skills and talents to help the greatest amount of people ensure their security in an interconnected and interdependent world.
When asked what he loved most about being an attorney, Walter says, “I’m in a profession that pairs intellectual challenge with real world impacts. My research, advice, and advocacy might start up or keep a business running, keep people employed, or provide an important measure of peace to people who have been wronged. I love that I can wake up every day knowing my work helps the people around me.”
“We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that needs to be done.” Alan Turing
- Cyber Law
- Telecommunications Law
- Litigation and Trial Law
LICENSED IN: Minnesota
Walter has a love for music and the arts. He has been performing since he was a child and plays over twelve instruments. He was even a performer and producer in his law school’s theater company! If there is karaoke, you better believe Walter is first on stage to sing some tunes. Fair warning, it’s impressive.
University of Minnesota Law School, Candidate for Juris Doctor, 2017
- International Moot Court Lead Student Director; 2016 Social Justice Award Recipient, National Lawyers Guild: Minneapolis Chapter; Dean’s Distinguished Scholarship; Dean’s List 2014-2017
Bradley University, B.S. in Political Science, B.A. in Philosophy, Minor in Asian Studies, 2013
- Summa Cum Laude; Valedictorian
Middlebury Language School, 2014
Tsinghua University, 2013
Criminal Justice Clinic
Certified Student Attorney, Minneapolis, MN, 2016-2017
- Prosecuted all levels of misdemeanor offenses on the behalf of the Twin Cities Metropolitan Airport Commission, developing plea offers from the state’s evidence, negotiating with defense counsel and pro se defendants, and representing the Commission at arraignments and trials
- Assisted the Hennepin County Public Defender’s Office representing indigent clients charged with non-felony criminal offenses.
Pearson North America
Data Privacy Extern, Bloomington, MN, June 2016- August 2016
- Supported corporate counsel addressing data privacy in the educational technology market updating regulatory compliance resources, reviewing data privacy provisions in developing contracts, and advising general counsel on emerging Chinese cyber-security legislation
- Translated trademark filings, Pearson Beijing office memoranda, and PRC legislation from Chinese to English for Pearson’s intellectual property and data privacy divisions
Legal Rights Center
Certified Student Attorney, Minneapolis, MN, May 2015- September 2015
- Represented indigent clients in Hennepin County Criminal, Juvenile, and Mental Health Courts under the Minnesota Student Practice Rule, negotiating with state and city attorneys as well as litigating at motion hearings and trials
- Drafted and filed dispositive motions in 10 cases arising out of the 2014
Cemovich Law Firm
Legal Assistant, Venice Beach, FL, Summer 2010 & 2011
- Provided administrative support assisting in all aspects of practice for a small civil litigation firm specializing in foreclosure defense, real estate, and probate/estate planning.