LAWRENCE J. ROLAND
Omaha Attorney in Trucking and Transportation, Employment and Labor, and Banking and Finance
Lawrence J. Roland (Larry) is a versatile advocate. Larry’s diverse capabilities and depth of experience in different industries allows him to provide strategic legal advice with a thorough understanding of each of his clients’ needs, challenges, and opportunities. Larry solves problems involving trucking and transportation, employment and labor law, litigation and trial law, banking and finance, business, administrative law, cyber law and telecommunications, and estate and business succession planning. Before becoming an attorney, Larry worked in the financial industry, television and media, food processing, and trucking. You could say that he is the “Jack of all trades”. Having knowledge in a broad spectrum of industries and types of law makes him ready for any case you throw his way. Larry is a versatile advocate - sharp, and fully equipped to solve your legal problems.
Direct: (402) 502-3443
Office: (402) 280-7648
Fax: (402) 505-3967
Cell: (402) 517-7004
One of Larry’s many practice areas includes trucking and transportation. As a truck driver’s attorney, having sat in the driver’s seat in the past, Larry helps truckers get and stay on the road, leaving their legal worries behind them. His knowledge extends from the trucker’s everyday challenges to what it takes to run a trucking business in the ever-changing transportation industry. He gets trucking company’s worries about high employee turnover rates and managing independent contractors to breached contracts and damaged cargo litigation. Larry can help you get and stay on the road, leaving the stress behind – worth it!
With his extensive private industry background, Larry also focuses on various Employment & Labor issues. His work involves advising commercial and non-profit clients within multiple industries on a broad range of employer-employee matters. Because each industry is unique, these matters - including background checks, hiring practices, employee handbooks, employment agreements, employee evaluations, proper workplace rules, and any claims of discrimination – require someone like Larry who can speak with you from both a business and legal standpoint.
Along with trucking and transportation and employment and labor law, Larry also practices in the Banking and Finance field, focusing on crypto currencies. As a former FINRA license-holder (Series 7 and 63), Chartered Financial Analyst candidate, and MBA recipient, Larry understands the “world of finances” enough to know that it is constantly changing and expanding. Along with his numismatic background, this understanding allows Larry to advise clients of the value of their visions, the risks of their actions/inactions, and the cost of their plans.
Intense, driven, and surprising – these are three words that describe Larry and made practicing law just right for him. “I practice in many different areas of law and that fits perfectly with my personality and demeanor. I love providing my clients with a sense of security that enables them to have at least one less thing to worry about,” says Larry.
Larry grew up the second oldest of 15 kids from the South Side of Chicago. He says, “My childhood prepared me for almost everything you’re going to see in life. I learned how to work harder than most while striving to find ways to work smarter than others. This not only prepared me for life, but also laid a strong foundation for me to become a relentless advocate for my clients.” Based on his life lessons growing up and now as an experienced attorney, Larry’s favorite quote is, “If you’re in the aisle, don’t be in the aisle.”
Larry received his Juris Doctor from Creighton University School of Law and MBA at the University of Nebraska Omaha. He is actively involved in the Nebraska and Iowa State Bar Associations as well as the Omaha Bar Association where he is a Public Service Committee member and member of Lawyers in the Classroom. Roland is currently the President and Governance Committee Chair for the Essential Pregnancy Services Board of Directors.
LICENSED IN: Nebraska and Iowa.
Larry is no stranger to big families. He had 14 siblings, all with the same parents and no twins! He has been married to his wife Amy for 18 years and they have four children (Dottie, Jack, Addy, and Max). A funny fact about Larry is that he was once scolded, on-air, by Frasier Thomas, ringmaster of the Bozo Show, for cheating during the final contest of that show. Larry may have outsmarted the game show…
Creighton University School of Law, Omaha, NE J.D., 2013
- Certificate in Litigation Law
- Certificate in Business Law
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Pretrial Litigation (2013)
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Scientific Evidence (2012)
- Judge Donald P. Lay Law Review Student Award
- Outstanding Service to the Law School Award
University of Nebraska at Omaha, Omaha, NE, MBA, 2009
Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, Bachelors of Arts, 1997
Gross & Welch, P.C., L.L.O.: Omaha, NE
Associate Attorney, 2013 – 2017
- Represented corporate and individual clients in various civil litigation matters. Responsible for handling all aspects of client cases up to and through trial, including interacting with multi-layered clients, conducting discovery, taking depositions, drafting and arguing motions, negotiating settlements, preparing legal memoranda, and zealously advocating for clients - at trial and through the appellate process. Prepared and presented Nebraska State Bar Association approved CLE on URLTA updates in Nebraska and effective clawback provisions and inadvertent disclosure with focus on Rule 502 of the Federal Rules of Evidence.
Walentine, O’Toole, McQuillan & Gordon, LLP: Omaha, NE
Associate Attorney, 2013
- Granted pro hac vice admittance into the Douglas County Court (Nebraska) to successfully represent client at bench trial before Honorable Judge Lowe. Served as second-chair attorney for a three-day trial in Woodbury County Court (Iowa) before Honorable Judge Hoffmeyer. Assisted firm’s litigation attorneys in preparing pleadings, discovery, party communications, and research.
Walentine, O’Toole, McQuillan & Gordon, LLP: Omaha, NE
Law Clerk, 2011 - 2013
- Argued before the Nebraska Supreme Court addressing professional negligence and premises liability standards. Argued opposition to summary judgment motion before Honorable Judge Senff. Assisted in three-day trial in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Nebraska and drafted subsequent appellate brief for Eighth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel. Researched and drafted an NSBA Ethical Advisory Opinion published by Ethics Committee. Drafted pleadings, motions, and supporting briefs for insurance defense, subrogation cases, and complex commercial litigation matters. Prepared discovery and questions for witness examinations and depositions.
TD Ameritrade: Omaha, NE
Financial Representative, 2009
- Customer Service Specialist for Premier Clients Division upon completion of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority Series 7 (general securities registered representative license) and Series 63 (security order soliciting) examinations.
Coca-Cola Enterprises: Omaha, NE
Lead Merchandiser, 2008 - 2009
- Supervised 11-member overnight service team that maximized product sales through precise inventory control and daily product placement. Set successful product placement procedures for distribution outlets.
Shop At Home, LLC: Nashville, TN
Vertical Business Unit Director – Coins and Sports Collectibles, 2006-2007
- Managed all aspects of an annual $100 million television and online sales vertical operation. Directed a 16-member team that managed vendor negotiations, product pricing strategies, merchandise marketing, on-air host development, customer service and retention, and outbound Elite Coin Concierge program.
Manager of Programming Operations & Director of Studio Management, 2003 - 2006
- Created and managed the daily host, producer, and promotional schedules, and the business ledgers of four departmental budgets while maximizing the studio usage for a $200M a year television and online retail entity.
Qwest Digital Media / North Star Studios: Nashville, TN
Manager of Project Specialists, 2000 - 2003
- Managed multiple studio, field, mobile, and post production clients while maintaining company profit margins and maximizing resource utilization, assisting both the Sales Team and Executive Management.
N.E.T. / America’s Voice Television: Washington, D.C.
Affiliates Director; Programming and Operations Assistant Manager, 1997 - 2000
- Communicated daily with cable affiliates carrying NET/AV programming, provided network support (writer, producer, and on-air talent), and Web maintenance. Developed, communicated, and implemented all convergence initiatives facilitating Senior Vice President.
- State & Federal Courts: Nebraska and Iowa
- S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- American Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Nebraska State Bar Association - Government & Administrative Practice Section, Education Committee Member
- Nebraska State Bar Foundation
- Omaha Bar Association - Public Service Committee (2012-Present), Lawyers in the Classroom (2015-Present), Executive Council Treasurer (Elect 2015)
- Nebraska Defense Counsel Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Creighton University Young Alumni Council, Founding Board Member
- Essential Pregnancy Services Board of Directors - President, Governance Committee Chair
- YMCA U10, U12, and U14 Flag Football Coach
- St. Margaret Mary Parish Volunteer
- Cub Scout Den Leader and Cubmaster (Pack 378); Assistant Scoutmaster (Troop 378)
- Boy Scouts of America – Eagle Scout
- 2016 Candidate for Nebraska Unicameral – Legislative District 9