Sioux Falls Family Law Attorney
When there is a disruption in your work day or turbulence in your home life, Emily Maurice is your go-to problem solver. Maurice focuses her practice on family and employment law and litigation. With two children of her own, Emily understands the complexities of family life and raising children. Whether you are going through a divorce or handling a contentious dispute with your employer or employee, Emily Maurice brings a special approach to diving into these issues. As a mother herself, Maurice brings a tenacious attitude when it comes to advocating for families. Working diligently to bring the calm to the storm, Maurice delivers an unparalleled legal experience to her clients and families alike- worth it.
Direct: (605) 275-7987
Office: (605) 371-2000
Fax: (605) 275-2039
Cell: (310) 429-5136
From the time she was seven years old, Emily Maurice knew she wanted to be a lawyer or the president-maybe both. Fortunately, she chose the path of being a zealous advocate. With experiences as a Paralegal, Graduate Assistant, and Committee Page, Maurice brings a myriad of knowledge in the legal and governmental spheres. Her focus in employment and family law allows her to use compassion in supporting the needs of individuals and families alike. The everchanging complexity of the law and opportunity to find an answer is what motivates Maurice to develop a creatively different plan to each case.
In many cases, it is not necessarily Maurice’s ability to solve a problem that takes center stage, rather her ability to prevent a problem before it occurs. With employment and family law having so many moving parts, the practices require a level head to navigate the paths to the correct solution for the specific problem. When asked what she liked most about being an attorney, Emily said, “I like the prestige of the legal field. I like being someone that can be trusted and relied upon to be able to solve and prevent problems before they occur. I like being able to make everything seem much more simple and smooth than the client may have originally thought.”
Just as the song “Road Less Traveled” proclaims, Emily Maurice trusts her rebel heart and rides it into battle each day for her clients. She capitalizes on non-traditional ways to accomplish goals and find success. As an honest, straight-forward, compassionate, and strategic advocate, Emily Maurice is not afraid to take the road less traveled.
LICENSED IN: South Dakota
As the firm’s senior figure skater, Emily is the master at balancing everything that gets thrown her way! In being a mother to two children, Kiersten and Declan, a wife to Jeremy, and proud owner of two dogs, Emily always finds the time for her family. What most don’t know about Emily is her love for Disney! In fact, it is her goal to visit Disney World at least once a year!
University of South Dakota School of Law, Candidate for Juris Doctor, 2017
Minnesota School of Business, Post-Baccalaureate Paralegal Certificate
Augustana College, Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies
South Dakota Board of Regents
Graduate Assistant, 2016-2017
- Research and draft memorandum on various legal topics affecting the South Dakota Board of Regents in its official capacity, as an agency of the state, and in its role governing all state institutions of higher education
Reliamax, Sioux Falls, SD
Legal Compliance Intern, May 2016-August 2016
- Researched various issues regarding a broad range of insurance compliance issues
- Worked with other departments to ensure corporate compliance insurance regulations
Cadwell, Sanford, Deibert & Garry, LLP, Sioux Falls, SD
Legal Extern, January 2016- May 2016
- Worked with the firm’s litigation and transactional attorneys on current case work and gain invaluable hands-on experience
South Dakota State University, Office of General Counsel, Brookings SD
Graduate Research Assistant, 2015-2016
- Researched and drafted memorandums on various legal topics affecting the University’s internal operations and community relations.
United States District Court, District of South Dakota
Internship with Judge Karen E. Schreier
- Researched and assisted in drafting court opinions on Social Security Disability Insurance, South Dakota Rules of Professional Conduct, and Rules of Civil Procedure
- Participated in daily chamber activities, including criminal hearings and civil trials
Lynn, Jackson, Shultz & Lebrun, Sioux Falls, SD
- Specialized work in employment law with class-action and individual case experience
- Conducted plaintiff interviews for class action and individual lawsuits
Minnesota House of Representatives, St. Paul, MN
Committee Page, January 2010- May 2010
- Dealt with lobbyists and protestors with a calm and fair approach, using both negotiation and responsiveness when required.
- Assisted State Representatives in full-session meetings and with the functions of two session-long committees
Toyota Sports Center, El Segundo, CA
Figure Skating Coach, 2008-2009
Comedy and Magic Club, Hermosa Beach, CA
Nitwits Comedy Club, Sioux Falls, SD
Assistant Manager, 2008
Sioux Falls Figure Skating Club, Sioux Falls, SD
Figure Skating Competitor and Coach, 1998-2008
State: South Dakota