Of Counsel & Director of Education
CRAIG S. BERENSTEIN
Of Counsel Sioux City Attorney in Corporate and Business Law, Director of Education
In his dual role serving as an “Of Counsel” attorney for Goosmann Law Firm, as well as the Director of Education, Craig S. Berenstein brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to help counsel and guide the growth and development of Goosmann Law Firm and its attorneys. Berenstein, an attorney with both private and in-house experience, as well as a former Mayor and City Councilmember for the city of Sioux City, Iowa, is a seasoned lawyer and business owner who is able to share his multitude of business and life experiences, and assist the firm in its dynamic and successful cycle of growth, and serves as a resource for the Firm and its attorneys to provide guidance on developing goals and directives in the best interest of the firm.
Direct: (712) 226-7426
Office: (712) 226-4000
Fax: (712) 224-4517
Cell: (712) 898-9708
As an attorney with both private firm and in-house experience, Berenstein has advised and provided guidance to numerous clients on a wide-array of topics and legal and business issues, and with that experience, Berenstein has a keen sense for what it takes to be successful. As a family-man, philanthropist, and community leader with over 30 years of business and legal experience, Craig understands the unique circumstances, needs, and goals relevant to support the firm, its attorneys, and the mission and vision instilled at Goosmann Law Firm each day. Berenstein’s career has focused on high-level business, corporate, and family matters, and because of his experience in the Sioux City, Iowa and northwest Iowa business communities, as well as local government and various non-profit Board’s and Commissions, he has developed a strong level of insight and experience in real-life and real-business, and knows the level of impact issues can have on those affected.
The role of Director of Education allows Berenstein to lead the coordination of training, education, and mentorship for the attorneys of Goosmann Law Firm, and with the ever-growing personnel and needs of the Firm, this role will continue to grow and expand to best develop the coordinated growth and expansion of the Firm. Having grown up in a family of attorneys, with both his father and his twin brother, and also his son soon to graduate from law school, the Berensteins’ family-interest in the law developed at a very early age as a life-long commitment, and the importance of impacting people’s lives will remain a valuable commitment and recognition for years to come.
Craig says, “I have always enjoyed my professional career choices and responsibilities, and the impact and relevance those roles can have on the lives and businesses of those impacted, who more often-than-not are friends, is immeasurable. With over 30 years of legal and business experience in both private practice, and then in-house as General Counsel and SVP of Legal Affairs to Wells Enterprises, Inc., I feel fortunate to now be able to share that experience and ‘seasoning’ with the attorney and staff of Goosmann Law Firm – to me, that is ‘Worth It'".
- Of Counsel
LICENSED IN: Iowa and South Dakota.
Craig has a commitment to the youth of Siouxland serving as the Executive Director of Siouxland Youth Golf Association which does business as The First Tee of Siouxland. The First Tee of Siouxland is a youth development program which uses the game of golf as a catalyst to impact the lives of Siouxland children in a positive and productive way, and after raising two children (Alex (25) and Abby (23)), Craig and his wife Julie who runs a local preschool (The Children’s School) feel fortunate to be able to give back and provide a positive and productive learning environment in the community.
University of Iowa, Bachelor of Arts, graduating Dean’s List and Phi Beta Kappa (1982)
University of Iowa College of Law, JD (1985)
Siouxland Youth Golf Association/The First Tee of Siouxland, Sioux City, Iowa
- Executive Director, 2017 – present
Morningside College, Sioux City, Iowa
- Teaching Instructor and Adjunct Faculty, 2016 – 2017
IBC Insurance, L.L.C. and Innovative Benefit Consultants, Inc., Sioux City, Iowa
- Co-General Counsel, Strategic Planning and Business Development, 2016
Wells Enterprises, Inc., d/b/a Wells Blue Bunny, Le Mars, Iowa
- Senior Vice-President, Legal Affairs and General Counsel, and member of Executive Team, 2008-2012
Berenstein Moore Heffernan Moeller & Johnson Law Firm, Sioux City, Iowa
- Partner, 1985-2008, 2012-2015
State: Iowa & South Dakota
- Iowa State Bar Association
- South Dakota State Bar Association
- Woodbury County Bar Association
- Mayor (2002-03, 2006-07) and City Councilmember, City of Sioux City, Iowa (2000-2007)
- Advisory Board Member, Heritage Bank, Sioux City, Iowa (2014 – present)
- Member of Executive Team (Secretary) and Board Member, Unity Point Health/St. Luke’s, Sioux City, Iowa (2016-present)
- Executive Committee (Chairperson (2014-2015) and Board Member, Siouxland Chamber of Commerce (2012-present)
- Former Member, Good Government Committee, Siouxland Chamber of Commerce (2012-2017)
- Former Co-Chairperson, Cone Park Committee, City of Sioux City, Iowa (2006-2018)
- Tyson/IBP Events Center Development Committee (2002 – 2003)
- Past Board Member, Siouxland Community Foundation
- Past Board Member, Mary Elizabeth Day Care Center
- Past Board Member, Jewish Federation of Siouxland
- Past Advisory Board Member, Sioux City Growth Organization (SCGO)
- Past Ex-Officio Board Member, The Siouxland Initiative (TSI)
- Former Board President and Member, Boys & Girls Home of Sioux City, Iowa
- Former Board Member, Morningside College, Sioux City, Iowa (2006-2014)